Advertisement

Old Time Funky Groove 90BPM - 1977 Univox P - Andy Irvine

Old Time Funky Groove 90BPM - 1977 Univox P - Andy Irvine Hey Friends! Here's a nice little bouncy old time groove. It comes from the country blues/gospel blues styles. Learning these types of old fashioned roots grooves and progressions can really help us all to become more wholesome bass players, with an "old soul". When I was coming up the mentors that I looked up to told me this - "You gotta be able to lay down them great old fashioned grooves right, if you do it right you will work, and get all kinds of decent paying gigs to cary you through" - "what ever it is you're trying to do with your original music bands will be better for it too" I did what they said, and have been able to gig a lot over the years, and learn all along the way from the older musicians out on the gigs. I get a hundred times more compliments from musicians for playing the more simple wholesome stuff right, than for being able to do the flashy stuff well. The flashy stuff of course is important too, but the job, the way I learned it, is primarily all about the nuts and bolts of simple wholesome bass guitar playing. I get my times to shine, and when I do it's usually because the band leader is rewarding me for a job well done holding it down. I know there are a million and one types of music and equally as many ways to play a bass. I share this only as a suggestion and something to consider. The more layers we have to our overall musicality the better. Many may seem overly simple, repetitive and or boring to you, I get that, but you might be surprised how playing with tasteful freedom and discipline at the same time is actually a really great study, challenge and also rewarding on the band stand.

Irvine

Post a Comment

0 Comments