Advertisement

Freediver Gets Trapped Underwater When Leg Gets Caught in Net

Freediver Gets Trapped Underwater When Leg Gets Caught in Net Lessons Learned:

1. Dive with a buddy.
2. Give nets and other potential entanglement dangers a wide berth.
3. Carry a dive knife.
4. Secure that knife to your body safely and in an easy-to-access area. A tether cord is also important, if you drop the knife by accident. But make sure the tether cord is weak enough to break if it also gets entangled.
5. If you do get entangled, STAY CALM and concentrate on freeing yourself in a safe and effective manner.
6. Be ready to ditch whatever piece of equipment is causing you to be snagged (in my case, my right fin).

What Happened:
In an area with strong currents, at a depth of approximately 3 meters, I became engrossed in capturing a good camera shot of two fish. My leg drifted into a net and my right fin and ankle became entangled in the netting. Not realizing that I was entangled, I began my ascent. As I turned to ascend, I was surprised to find myself right in front of the gaping tunnel that goes through the concrete reef. The second shock (at 1:44 on the video) was discovering that something was grabbing my leg. To my horror, I discovered that my fin and ankle were wrapped inside the net. I knew that I was near the end of my usual breath-hold, but I forced myself to stay calm knowing that I was still at a comfortable oxygen level. I pulled out my knife and began cutting myself free. I was aware that I didn't want to accidentally cut myself, but I was also aware that I was not making quick progress and that caused me to panic a bit. Luckily, I cut enough of a hole for my ankle and fin to pull free as I swam for the surface. If I had not been able to cut myself free, the next step would have been to pull my foot out of the fin and escape.

Azur Maiko, East End
July 18, 2019, 8:47 AM
20190718 084711

emergency,underwater emergency,freediving emergency,snorkeling emergency,net,trapped in net,trapped by net,Kobe,Japan,Azur Maiko,freediving,freediving Japan,near drowning,freediving safety,near death,

Post a Comment

0 Comments